Friday, May 22, 2009

You Don't Have to Have a Mood Disorder to be an Entrepreneur, but it Helps


It's called "hypomania" and literally means, "below mania" in that you're just a leetle bit under having a full blown case of mania- the type of mania which would then interfere with one's ability to function regarding everyday matters.

I'm highly functional- because I'm a hypomanic. (Yay for me.)

"Many have cited hypomania as a gateway to their success, and a large number of people with creative talents have experienced hypomania or other symptoms of bipolar disorder. Classic symptoms of hypomania include mild euphoria, a flood of ideas, endless energy, and a desire and drive for success. Unlike a lot of other mood disorders, people suffering from hypomania tend to be extremely goal oriented and many successful people have credited bipolar disorder in their successes."

Me- Entrepreneur Chick is:
1. Always very happy unless I'm irritated. Ha. And I can become very irritated.
I apparently look nice enough though, so you'd never suspect that in one of my *episodes* five security guards had to be called. Am not afraid of confrontation. But that was 6 years ago and I've been security guard free since then. TA DA.
2. Am full of ideas. It's hard to choose which idea to act on and which idea to scrap.
3. Am always asked, "Do you ever sleep?"
4. Have my goals posted on the bathroom wall. Write them down and tweak them daily in journal/calendar I keep.
5. Can not fathom my world without some relentless drive pushing me. I say a lot, "If I'm not hard on myself, who's going to be?" I am not, however, "doo dad" oriented or a collector of "stuff". If it's not practical I don't want it and if I'm not using it, I'll give it to someone who will. Love the book, "Clutter's Last Stand".

I suppose I should say, "Thank you Mood Disorder for working for me and not against me."

This is something that just struck me as probably more than a coincidence-
the writers I am attracted to (view my complete profile) are also people who have had mood disorders! Poe, Faulkner, Hemingway, Fitzgerald... you can click on "many successful people" link above.

Like attracts like. Two sickies don't make one well-ie.

No comments:

Post a Comment